Looking at websites for various Atlanta internet marketing companies revealed something interesting today. Most refer to a term called SEO. This is short for Search Engine Optimization. This term is splashed around quite freely on home pages or in long explanations about core services. Some companies extoll the virtues of "SEO as an important marketing tool for this century". The often overused word may not even be understood by many business owners. Internet marketing companies use this SEO acronym like a trump card. If they play this card, their hand will surely win.
By trump card, I mean that some internet marketing companies assume that you know what SEO is and that it will be the saving grace for your online business. Because it can be confusing, and because many business owners think they must have SEO, internet marketing companies play this card and convince owners that only they can do SEO "right" and get big time results. I think of this like I think of IT (Information Technology). I don't know exactly what IT specialists do but I believe I've got to have them. For all I know, they play trump cards all the time and get whatever they request from unsuspecting businesses or department heads.
Any solid Atlanta SEO company should clearly explain SEO and demystify it. And, hopefully, not use it as a trump card to win business from unclear business owners.
Getting Clear On What is SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
In simple terms, SEO is ongoing efforts which "tune-up" (optimize) a website by improving its ability to attract attention from target customers and from search engines. These include internal, or on-site, optimization efforts to better help search engines like Google and Yahoo accurately find your website among the global sea of billions of active websites. And SEO also includes external aspects such as link-building and marketing the unique value of a company's offerings through its website.
Does your company need SEO?
Yes. That is, if you want to be found online.
If your site lacks in optimization - it will likely not be found via online search (either by potential customers or by search engines). Using sound and proven best practice approaches to SEO usually leads to increased web presence for your business. This best practice is called inbound marketing, popularized and perfected by HubSpot. In turn this increased web presence may mean more traffic or a higher quality of traffic that is more prepared to buy your product(s) or service(s).
Investing time and effort into inbound marketing HubSpot software experts can lead to a great return on investment. About 20% of your results will come from on-site optimization (internal website tweaks to pages and content). The other 80% will result from ongoing efforts to produce valuable content that will attract attention and inbound links from other popular and relevant web sites and trusted online authorities.
Here is the good news. You no longer need to be confused by SEO - learn the simple truth about SEO now.