Despite recent changes in the industry, business blogging continues to be one of the single most important SEO activities you can engage in. Your SEO blog will be the hub of your online marketing efforts, with most of your other strategies aimed at bringing people to your website -and your blog- to help convert them into customers.
There's a lot to search engine optimization and blogging that one could talk about, so we've compiled a list of our top ten tips for having effective SEO blogs as we start nearing the end of 2012. You need to ensure your blogging strategies are keeping up with the industry if you want to continue to enjoy search engine success.
Ten Important Tips For Your SEO Blogs
1. Content matters more than ever: Google is continuing to push towards not just organizing the web, but influencing its content by placing high-quality sites above low-quality ones. Truly interesting, unique content and a good user experience are must-haves for good search engine optimization today.
2. Cover a variety of topics: To get out a lot of content, try to cover as many topics as you can within the scope of your business or industry. Don't be afraid to get creative, like talking about how a movie you saw lately got you thinking about business strategies, or such.
3. Vary your keywords: SEO blogs can't just repeat the same keywords endlessly and get the same effect any more. Including natural variations on your keywords in your content will make your blog less "spammy" and increase its content value.
4. Use alternate blogging formats: Blogs don't have to always be written out. Try utilizing slideshow presentations or perhaps video blogs to keep things fresh. Varied content is almost always better content.
5. Try to keep your tone constant: Try to have a set style guide governing how your blog's writing should look and what tone is should take. Blogs with a consistent tone and style look more professional.
6. Don't be too inaccessible: Blogs should be relatively informal and should generally remain accessible to interested laymen. Don't drown them in industry terminology or highly technical discussions unless you are honestly only interested in speaking to specialists.
7. Get into guest blogging: Guest blogging is a terrific way to boost two companies' SEO blogs at once. Whether you're the guest or the host, a well-written guest blog will allow cross-pollination between two market segments and expand awareness of both companies involved.
8. Start related discussions on Facebook and LinkedIn: Talking about the ideas in your blog through social media - beyond just "hey, go read our blog!" style updates - are a good way of attracting traffic. In general, Facebook is better for making B2C connections and LinkedIn is better for B2B. Remember, the point of social media is to get your name out there and start discussions rather than preaching to people.
9. Outsourcing content works: If you find you just don't have the time to do your SEO blogging or the quality is starting to wane, there's no shame when you hire a blog writier. You'll get good-quality content, at surprisingly cheap rates. It's a fine way to expand your content on offer while bringing new blood and new ideas into your blog.
10. Write, write, and write some more: One thing hasn't changed about blogging and your SEO strategies. Time, patience, and dedication are still the top predictors of success. The more good blogs you write or host, the more leads and sales you're going to inspire. Be prepared to invest months, at least, before seeing a payoff.
No matter how you're handling your SEO, your blog is almost certainly going to be at the center of it. What other must-follow advice have you been following on your blog? Let us know in the comments!