If your business is looking to gain visitors, leads and customers from your website, it is now time to get with the business blogging program to play into the online marketing space. If you are in the small percentile now that does not read a blog, you will be unlike the 65% of internet users (and growing) that are reading a blog at least once a month. Do you want to miss out on those users? Go ahead, take a poll and ask 10 friends, 6-7 are reading a blog. For the pessimist we will call this Blogging for Dollars, as 57% of businesses have gained clients through their company blog. Here is the easy step guide to get you started:
1. Software- I am using the HubSpot tool as I write and it is telling me, to the right of this document (in the cloud of course) if it is too short, too long, missing tags, images, keywords, descriptions etc. to make this document optimized so that you can find it online. You must have software to begin. HubSpot has best in class software for blog writing and starts at $200 per month.
2. Writing Skills or Not- If your business has no marketing budget, you will need to either write yourself or have people you work with help you. Chances are if you have been in business, you have things that you are burning to discuss and your family and friends are sick of hearing about it. This platform is for the world to see and believe me, over time, the world will. If you have a budget, consider a business blogging company that knows how to write, keyword optimize and get on your site ranging from $500-800 per month depending on how robust you want your blog.
3. Patience. Do not go into this thinking you will get big results fast. The saying that if it was easy, everybody would be doing it, holds true here. To get noticed, plan on 50 blogs being a minimum to get on your audience and Google's radar. These blogs will need to have keywords that will get you found and be great content writing that relates to your niche.
4. Calls to Action- Every blog should have something to peak the interest of the visitor. Putting up interest content is the start but like your friends and family, that is not enough. I guarantee you if you told your friends that after the end of your rant, you will offer them a $10 dining credit at Starbucks, they will listen and provide their first born. Well maybe not that but they would give you their email address.
5. Know Your Clients- If you are thinking I really have no clue what to start writing about, your answer is right in front of you. Your clients. Your clients all have questions and you should write down the top 10. These top 10 will be your first 10 blog topics.
Bonus Tip- The software to help your blog will also provide you with the details of the results. You will learn over time what blogs resonate, what keywords are driving traffic, and most importantly for your business, what those email addresses are, to continue providing valuable answers to your client's questions. Can your billboard (radio spot, mailer, YP ad) do that?
Have fun blogging and please do comment below if you have had some success, failure or have more questions.